A senior communications shake-up has reportedly hit Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, with a new report suggesting their publicist resigned following controversy linked to the Kardashians. Meredith Maines, the couple’s Chief Communications Officer, announced her departure after less than a year in the role, sparking speculation about the reasons behind her exit. According to a source quoted by Page Six, the drama that followed the Sussexes’ appearance at Kris Jenner’s birthday party was allegedly the “final straw” that led Maines to step down.
What happened at Kris Jenner’s birthday party
The high-profile birthday celebration, hosted last month by Jeff Bezos, featured a guest list packed with entertainment and business elites. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were among the attendees at the Bond-themed event. Photos from the party were later shared on social media by Jenner and her daughter Kim Kardashian. Some images included the Duke and Duchess of Sussex but were eventually deleted, triggering online speculation and tabloid headlines. Reports soon emerged claiming the Sussexes had requested Kardashian to remove the photos. In response, sources close to the reality star alleged that the couple had signed a consent form allowing the images to be posted. Other insiders later denied that any such form existed. While the controversy eventually faded, it reportedly created internal strain behind the scenes.
Source says controversy impacted publicist
An insider told the outlet that the Kardashian-related fallout weighed heavily on Maines and ultimately contributed to her decision to leave. The source described the incident as the “last straw” following months of intense pressure managing the Sussexes’ public image. Another report noted that Maines had been working with the couple for roughly 10 months. Her resignation was confirmed on Friday, with the communications executive stating she would remain in her position through the new year to ensure a smooth transition.
A pattern of frequent staff changes
Maines is reportedly the 11th publicist to part ways with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in the past five years, a statistic that has frequently drawn attention in media coverage of the couple. While supporters argue the Sussexes operate under extraordinary scrutiny, critics have pointed to the high turnover as a sign of ongoing internal challenges. In a statement announcing her departure, Maines struck a positive tone. “After a year of inspiring work with Prince Harry and Meghan, Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Archewell, I will be pursuing a new opportunity in 2026,” she said. “I have the utmost gratitude and respect for the couple and the team, and the good they are doing in the world.”
No official comment on Kardashian claims
Neither the Sussexes nor representatives for the Kardashians have publicly addressed the claims linking Maines’ resignation to the birthday party controversy. As with many stories surrounding the couple, much of the narrative currently relies on unnamed sources. For now, the reported exit adds to ongoing public interest in how Prince Harry and Meghan Markle manage their public-facing operations—and how celebrity crossovers can sometimes spark unexpected complications.














